[WBEL-users] Adding Gui on command-line install

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Oct 26 18:11:17 CDT 2006

At Thu, 26 Oct 2006 13:22:00 -0700 david <david at daku.org> wrote:

> At 05:06 AM 10/26/2006, you wrote:
> >At Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:55:12 -0700 david <david at daku.org> wrote:
> >

> > > Dear Friends
> > >
> > > I originally set up my server to run command-line only.  None of the
> > > graphical interface packages were installed.
> > >
> > > I now want to add the capability of running a graphical interface
> > > sometimes.  That is, the system boots in command line mode (runlevel
> > > 3 I think), and the ALT-function keys bring up command line
> > > windows.  However, if I issue the "startx" command (I think), I want
> > > to switch to graphical.  I want to make a similar function available
> > > via ssh logins using an X-windows package on a windows box.
> > >
> > > Is this possible?  Can it be done without re-installing WBEL4?
> >
> >Yes.  You just need to install and  configure the X Server:
> >
> >1) Make sure xorg-x11 and xdm are installed:
> >
> >sudo yum install xorg-x11 xorg-x11-xdm
> >
> >2) Then configure the X server -- type this at the console:
> >
> >/usr/bin/X11/Xorg -configure
>
> Robert
>
> I installed as suggested, plugged in the mouse, rebooted to let Kudzuu find it.
>
> When I ran the Xorg -configure, it claimed it could not detect the
> mouse, and suggested that I edit
>    /root/xorg.conf.new
> I saw that the device pointer therein was
>    /dev/mouse
> but my dev listing shows
>   /dev/mouse0
>
> So, I did the edit, saved it, reran the configure, and it complained
> again.  When I reexamined the edited file, my changes were erased !!

Is it a serial, PS/2, or USB mouse?

You might have to fuss with udev to get the /dev/mouse symlink to stay
around.

I have a serial mouse on COM2, so I have this line in
/etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules:

KERNEL="ttyS1", SYMLINK="modem"

You might need to add something else for your mouse.

Also:  *Always* Cc to the list! -- select 'Reply To All' when you reply.
I'm not the only one with answers -- there are others who might have
answers too.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration