[WBEL-users] mc RPM for WBEL anyone?

Mike B. Saber at omniphile.com
Wed Sep 27 16:57:50 CDT 2006

I've been using RH-7.2 for years, but am looking into switching to WBEL to
get something a bit more modern (I've got WBEL 3 CDs at the moment...I know
4 is out, but 3 is what I have at the moment).  I've installed it on a
spare machine, and in playing with it I find that one of the more useful
command line apps, Midnight Commander (mc), is missing!  What gives?  Has
everyone gone GUI or something?

I found the SRPMs for mc for RHEL, and downloaded the latest one, but it
won't install properly.  I worked past the problems rpmbuild has with the
"%include"  "macros" in various comments by changing the "%include" to
"%_include" in the comments of the spec file.  And a similar problem with
another macro ("%proc" I think it was) in the same way.  That got things
moving, and I updated the SRPM ok...but trying to make an RPM is failing
with a list of files that are there, but not included in the RPM.  They
seem to be mostly doc and HTMLs, but there are some others (I don't have
mail set up on that machine yet, or a way to get into it from this machine
yet, so I can't cut-paste the exact error messages).

Rather than spending a lot of time figuring out how to fix that one too, is
it possible that someone has already done this and has a WBEL RPM for
mc?  If not, I guess I'll have to learn some more about building RPMs... ;-)

-- Mike B.
--
"Out, out!!  You demons of stupidity!!" -- St. Dogbert