[WBEL-users] mc RPM for WBEL anyone?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Sep 28 00:25:52 CDT 2006

At Thu, 28 Sep 2006 00:20:00 -0400 "Mike B." <Saber at omniphile.com> wrote:

> At 9/27/2006 08:50 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> >Mike B. wrote:
> >>I've been using RH-7.2 for years, but am looking into switching to WBEL
> >>to get something a bit more modern (I've got WBEL 3 CDs at the moment...I
> >>know 4 is out, but 3 is what I have at the moment).
> >
> >not sure if you are aware of the fact that EL3 went into Maint mode a few
> >months back... if you are doing a new install you really should use EL4 (
> >unless, you have some linux-2.6 issues )
>
> I will...I'm just looking at what I already had handy.  Cheap Bytes will
> get an order for the WBEL 4 CDs before I install on my actual server.
>
> I don't know enough about linux-2.6 to know if I have issues...what sort of
> things might they be?  My server needs Sendmail, DNS (for a caching server
> for my LAN...the ISM hosts the "real" nameserver), POP, IMAP, Apache (local
> and development use, not for the world at large), Perl 5.x (for CGI
> mostly), X (so I can access it from other machines and have more than a
> telnet interface), some sort of spam filter, and not much more other than
> the usual commands and utilities (like YUM, RPM, Elm, etc.).

The only issues *I've had* with linux-2.6 is support for old legacy
hardware, such as the sound 'card' in my (old!) P133 Toshiba Tecra
510CDT laptop, which is dual boot: WBEL 3.0 and CentOS 4.3.  (CentOS
4.3 is much the same as WBEL 4.)  The 2.6 kernel itself runs just fine
on the laptop.  But, even after rebuilding the kernel with the driver
for the sound card, there is no sound...  The 2.4 kernel that ships
with WBEL 3.0 includes a working driver module for the sound card.

If your server is modern hardware, you should not have any troubles with
a 2.6 kernel.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration