[WBEL-users] mc RPM for WBEL anyone?

Mike B. Saber at omniphile.com
Wed Sep 27 23:20:00 CDT 2006

At 9/27/2006 08:50 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>Mike B. wrote:
>>I've been using RH-7.2 for years, but am looking into switching to WBEL
>>to get something a bit more modern (I've got WBEL 3 CDs at the moment...I
>>know 4 is out, but 3 is what I have at the moment).
>
>not sure if you are aware of the fact that EL3 went into Maint mode a few
>months back... if you are doing a new install you really should use EL4 (
>unless, you have some linux-2.6 issues )

I will...I'm just looking at what I already had handy.  Cheap Bytes will
get an order for the WBEL 4 CDs before I install on my actual server.

I don't know enough about linux-2.6 to know if I have issues...what sort of
things might they be?  My server needs Sendmail, DNS (for a caching server
for my LAN...the ISM hosts the "real" nameserver), POP, IMAP, Apache (local
and development use, not for the world at large), Perl 5.x (for CGI
mostly), X (so I can access it from other machines and have more than a
telnet interface), some sort of spam filter, and not much more other than
the usual commands and utilities (like YUM, RPM, Elm, etc.).

>>I've installed it on a spare machine, and in playing with it I find that
>>one of the more useful command line apps, Midnight Commander (mc), is
>>missing!  What gives?  Has everyone gone GUI or something?
>
>the mc rpm from EL4 builds and works fine on EL3, you should be able to
>just grab the el4 src.rpm and rebuild on the machine itself.

I'll look for it.  The one for RHEL 4 from the mc home site is the one I
had problems with though.

Thanks to the other two responders who suggested the RH 9 binary RPM.  I'll
look into that too.  I don't need "latest and greatest"...I just need
"works".  The one I got with RH 7.2 is fine with me, though I doubt it will
work as-is on WBEL 3.  This ain't OpenVMS! ;-)

-- Mike B.
--
I was sad because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.  So I
said, "Got any shoes you don't need?"