[WBEL-users] Upgrading from Whitebox to RHEL

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Apr 27 14:10:21 CDT 2007

At Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:54:07 -0700 Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:

> Mike B. spake the following on 4/26/2007 7:37 PM:
> > At 4/26/2007 01:09 PM, Scott Silva wrote:
> >
> >> wasting your money. They will probably recommend a clean install and
> >> careful
> >> data restore.
> >
> > This raises a different question...one that may be obvious to long-time
> > unix/linux folks, but not to us relatively new ones:
> >
> > What is the best way to deal with upgrades and re-installations of
> > linux?  That is, how do you preserve all the configuration changes,
> > startup customizations, user accounts, cron scripts, DNS zone files, and
> > other system management "stuff" that accumulates on a system over time
> > when you re-install the OS or upgrade or switch to a different
> > distribution?  Manually re-customizing and repeating all the setup work
> > may be possible, but it's not an attractive option at all.

The main thing is proper partitioning.  For *my* thoughts on 'proper
partitioning' see

http://www.deepsoft.com/Articles/

and select the 'Partitioning for Linux' article.

Almost all of the 'system management "stuff"' lives under /etc, with a
small handfull under various places under /var somewhere (eg /var/named
for DNS zone files, etc.).  If stuff like /home is on its own partition
and if /var/spool, /var/named, /var/www and so on are on their own
partitions as well, you only really need to make a backup of /etc some
where -- I usually create a /scratch partition and when I need to do a
fresh install / big leap upgrade (eg from RH 7.3 to CentOS 4.3, which I
did last year) / change distro, I backup /etc/ to /scratch/etc/...
Making backups of things like /usr/local or really the sources to the
stuff installed there, since more often than not the fresh install will
involve different libraries and things, which will require rebuilding
(*I* just keep these sorts of sources on some other partition (like
/home or /sources or something like that).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration