[WBEL-users] Upgrading from Whitebox to RHEL

Mike B. Saber at omniphile.com
Fri Apr 27 20:34:51 CDT 2007

At 4/27/2007 03:10 PM, Robert Heller wrote:

>The main thing is proper partitioning.  For *my* thoughts on 'proper
>partitioning' see
>
>http://www.deepsoft.com/Articles/
>
>and select the 'Partitioning for Linux' article.

Thanks!  Makes sense.  I set up /home on a separate partition just to
be able to keep it around easily when replacing all the other
partitions in a major upgrade, but the other separate partitions you
suggest make good sense too. Since my system is just used by me, some
of the reasons won't apply here, but won't hurt anything either.

I'm kind of thinking that linux, or unix in general, could benefit
from some sort of standard installation/configuration program that
records info about what was installed, when, and most importantly,
where it put all the parts, then saves the install package to some
safe area for use if re-installation is needed.  It should also allow
editing or creation of config files, while tracking all the changed
files for future reference.  When it's reinstall or major
upgrade/change time you could get it to build you a tar of all the
files that you've changed since system install, and maybe even get it
to tell you which ones are different on the new system after
installation so you know what needs to be put back...and maybe it
could automate those that don't need merging...like passwd maybe.

I guess the combination of RPMS and up2date (or other update system)
does do much of this, but not everything comes in RPMs or through an
automatic updater.  Things written locally for instance, or manual
edit config file changes won't be tracked.

Is there something like that already?  Or am I too short on sleep and
the whole thing is a bad idea?

-- Mike B.