[WBEL-users] Upgrading from Whitebox to RHEL

Mike B. Saber at omniphile.com
Fri Apr 27 20:13:10 CDT 2007

At 4/27/2007 01:54 PM, Scott Silva wrote:

>Most configuration files are in the /etc directory.  If you install something
>that stores its config files somewhere else, make a symlink into /etc for it
>so you can just tar the /etc directory occasionally.

That's the sort of idea that experienced folks know, but us newbies
don't always think of...even if we know about symlinks.  Thanks!

A lot of stuff seems to keep config and other customized files in
/var (DNS, WWW, etc.).  Is there any other location that's common for
storing such things?

>  If you put your /home
>directory on a separate filesystem, it can be left untouched during the new OS
>install.

That concept carried over from my decades of VAX/VMS and OpenVMS
experience...so that's how I set up my server way back when.

>I have done some in place upgrades, but I will usually make a list of all the
>installed rpms with rpm -qa |sort >rpmlist.txt before and after the upgrade,
>and compare the list with a log from a fresh install in a vmware vm. That way
>I can look for orphaned rpms.

What about things that got installed without RPMs?  Things built
locally, from source that wasn't RPM'd or whatever?  Is there a
simple way to find it all, or do you just have to be organized from
day one and keep a database (even if it's just a flat text file)?

I think part of my problem is that when I first set up my RH 5.2
system I was brand new to linux and had almost zero unix
experience.  I was so overwhelmed just getting things to work at all
that I had no spare cycles left over for worrying about future
maintenance or upgrades.  RH made upgrading easy...just make a backup
for safety (copy to another HD and upgrade the copy) and do the
upgrade.  That's how I got along up to 7.2 where I am now.  About the
time I was going to upgrade again RH changed direction and I've been
frozen in time ever since except for necessary individual upgrades,
like Sendmail.  It's time to start over, but I don't want to lose too
much of what I had set up already...though if that happens, so be it,
but I'd prefer to do better on the *next* big change at least.

Thanks for the ideas!

-- Mike B.