[WBEL-users] Source for rpmbuild

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Jul 21 08:16:13 CDT 2007

At Fri, 20 Jul 2007 20:36:50 -0600 "Daniel J. Summers" <daniel at djs-consulting.com> wrote:

> Greetings - it's been a while since I poked my head in here.  :)
>
> I'm actually not running WBEL anymore, but I think what I may need to do
> is a chroot with it in it.  When I was running WBEL, I would download
> the source RPM for xine and xine-ui, then run "rpmbuild -ta [source]".
> This would build the library and the development package.  I now have an
> AMD64 (x86_64) machine running Ubuntu.  I've searched and searched, but
> I can't figure out how to install rpmbuild.  (I know, Ubuntu uses deb
> packages - but I actually redistributed these RPMs for the project,
> since they're not included in Red Hat's distribution.)  Since it's
> 64-bit already, I won't have to cross-compile, but I need to make an RPM.
>
> Someone made a suggestion to run alien on the deb package to turn it
> into an RPM - but, that seems like a hack to me, and since I
> redistribute them, I'd rather go with a process I know works.  Any ideas?

rpmbuild sources are part of the source code for rpm:

sauron.deepsoft.com% rpm -qf `which rpmbuild`
rpm-build-4.3.3-22_nonptl
sauron.deepsoft.com% rpm -qi rpm-build
Name        : rpm-build                    Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 4.3.3                             Vendor: CentOS
Release     : 22_nonptl                     Build Date: Fri 04 May 2007
07:55:52 AM EDT
Install Date: Wed 04 Jul 2007 08:17:58 PM EDT      Build Host: builder4.centos.org
Group       : Development/Tools             Source RPM: rpm-4.3.3-22_nonptl.src.rpm
Size        : 1579423                          License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Sat 05 May 2007 09:33:52 AM EDT, Key ID a53d0bab443e1821
Summary     : Scripts and executable programs used to build packages.
Description :
The rpm-build package contains the scripts and executable programs
that are used to build packages using the RPM Package Manager.

(This is on a CentOS system, but WBL should be the same.)

It should be possible to install the RPM package from scratch, but it
might just be easier to just install WBL on a spare hard drive /
partition.  I am not sure if RPM built with a version of RPM built under
Ubuntu would be meaningful for any RH-flavored distro.

--
Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration