[WBEL-users] new DST on WBL 3.0...

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Mar 12 11:09:59 CDT 2007

Mike B. spake the following on 3/11/2007 10:44 PM:
> At 3/11/2007 06:41 PM, Jeff Lasman wrote:
>> On Sunday 11 March 2007 01:40 pm, Mike B. wrote:
>>
>> > Any idea why Linux doesn't use a symlink for /etc/localtime?  That
>> > would have let me skip the cp step and just build stuff in
>> > /usr/share/zoneinfo and be done with it.
>>
>> Would "simply because it doesn't" answer your question?
>
> Pretty much.  If unix wasn't already using a symlink it would answer it
> completely, but with a fairly well-known example of a better way to do
> it, it makes me wonder why the Linux developers didn't do it the same
> way.  They are smart folks, so I figured maybe there was a good reason,
> but there doesn't have to be. ;-)
>
>>  We've done it
>> on our test boxes and as soon as I have time to check them Monday... if
>> they worked, we'll install links on other servers as well.
>
> Thanks for the info!
>
> -- Mike B.
As long as your /usr/share/zoneinfo and your /etc are on the root filesystem,
then you are OK. But if you boot into single user mode, and your /usr
partition doesn't get mounted for some reason, then your symlink is worthless.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and