[WBEL-users] another wbel3 to 4 question

Vic whitebox at beer.org.uk
Fri Mar 28 06:51:07 CDT 2008

Hi Ted,

> it sounds like the
> recommendation is to get the CDs for WBEL 4 and do an upgrade from
> those, rather than mucking around with yum.

Yes - do that. It's a much simpler process :-)

> I just wanted to
> ask Per or anyone else whose tried it lately how that went, and if
> there are any pitfalls to
> be on the lookout for.

I've only ever had one problem (and I've done quite a few of these) - and
it's down to the megaraid driver. The WBEL3 one was called megaraid_sas or
something like that (the memory has faded somewhat), whereas it needs to
be megaraid_mbox for WBEL4. This means that the disks aren't found the
first time you boot, which is a little worrying :-)

IIRC (and I might be wrong), I had to rebuild initrd to get it working.
>From then on, it's been perfect.

> In any case, just wanted to pick everyone's brains and find out the
> best way to get to WBEL 4

CDs.

> and
> also if anyone had similar issues with memory expansions in the past,
> and if this kernel upgrade might
> be expected to solve our troubles. Any thoughts on either or both
> issue would be most appreciated.

Moving to WBEL4 would be a good plan anyway - v3 doesn't get much in the
way of updates :-)

If you're using lvm, you'll want to convert to lvm2 on upgrade - see "man
vgconvert" for details.

And if you do a full backup before the upgrade (like I did), remember to
use gigabit ethernet. It takes a while otherwise :-)

HTH

Vic.