[WBEL-users] connect to internet

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Nov 2 15:32:13 CST 2008

At Sun, 2 Nov 2008 07:01:47 -0800 (PST) Killer at yourdoor.knockknock wrote:

> OK i have the driver and installed by rpm and nothing
> symbolic link for modem has not modem protacals and
> modem is busy when tryed to query.
> so i unloaded rpm,
> and i have wasted a week trying to get a pci modem to work
> and your only helpfull responce was try another os
> sad ;<
> how can you call whitehat a os with little to no support
> for its users.
> it feels like you took a redhat distro rebranded it and slaped
> a label on it and throw it out. your not sure how to run it
> support it or anything else.

Winmodems are poorly supported under any O/S but MS-Windows.  Most of
them use *propriatory* interfaces, which are NOT documented by the
vendor (Broadcomm in this case).  You really should complain to:

1) Broadcomm, for not supporting Linux
2) Dell, for installing such a piece of crap modem in their box.

(Probably both).

What you can to to get on-line is to buy a *real* modem.  Just about any
external RS232 (serial port) modem will work, out of the box.  The only
driver needed will be compiled into the kernel.

Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
heller at deepsoft.com       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk