[WBEL-users] connect to internet

Kris Deugau kdeugau at deepnet.cx
Sun Nov 2 10:47:59 CST 2008

Rogue Spider wrote:
> OK i have the driver and installed by rpm

What .rpm?  From where?

> and nothing
> symbolic link for modem has not modem protacals and
> modem is busy when tryed to query.
> so i unloaded rpm,
> and i have wasted a week trying to get a pci modem to work
> and your only helpfull responce was try another os
> sad ;<
> how can you call whitehat a os with little to no support
> for its users.

This isn't really a Whitebox-specific problem;  for the last ~10 years
or so all but a rare few modems are not really modems but glorified
analog-digital converters whose modem functionality is largely provided
by software running on the main CPU.

As someone else noted, manufacturers of these devices are afraid of some
nebulous advantage their competitors may gain by releasing open-source
drivers, or even the hardware interface specs any one of a long list of
kernel hackers could use to *write* an open-source driver.

The link you posted about your system tells me that the modem is either
Conexant or Intel.  (I didn't know Intel ever made modems...)  IIRC
you're in for a rough ride getting a Conexant modem to work under Linux,
period.  :(

Someone's suggestion to look at http://linmodems.org/ is probably a good
place to start to get the kernel to properly recognize the hardware.

> it feels like you took a redhat distro rebranded it and slaped
> a label on it and throw it out. your not sure how to run it
> support it or anything else.

Buy RHEL and you'll likely get a "We don't support that device" if you
asked for support on it.

-kgd