[WBEL-users] WBEL-5 ???

Mike B. saber at omniphile.com
Sat Feb 28 18:45:03 CST 2009

Mark A. Lewis wrote:
> Honestly, I used WBEL some years ago, until it went stagnant. I
> subscribed to the list then and never unsubscribed because it never
> occurs to me since the volume is less than one message per month
> generally.

Same here.  I'm currently using Ubuntu, since my current needs are more
workstation than server.

I gave up on RH when they gave up on Red Hat Linux...which was very good
and fit my needs perfectly.  Splitting it into Workstation and Server
and Enterprise editions meant they no longer met my needs (which are
development mostly...i.e. some server, some workstation aspects) with
*any* of their versions.

Fedora is not a candidate for me (tried it) as it updates too
frantically...my development is not *of* Linux, just *on* Linux, and I
prefer a stable platform, not one that changes every couple of months.
I don't get paid to upgrade my development system, so I don't change it
any more often than I have to to get my work done.

As I said, the old Red Hat Linux was perfect for what I needed.  I ran
it for years, and if it was still available, I could use that happily.
WBEL was an attempt to get back to that, which is why I joined this list
and installed it a while ago, but Ubuntu is a better choice for what I
need today, so that's what I'm running. Those running server systems,
especially large numbers of them, will make a different choice.

I don't claim to be an expert on Linux, or on which versions are best
for any given purpose.  I learn something new every day...which is one
reason why I haven't left this list...I do see things that I find useful
in the posts that show up, and as you say, it doesn't flood my in-box.

> It's not about being "insensitive" or "unfeeling", it's about the

Yes, it is, and you are.  Rude too.  Such as:

> laughability of an "Enterprise" OS, which is nothing more than a
> re-roll of RHEL and is 2 years behind. 2 years and 2 full versions in
> distro time is a eon.

Then perhaps you should give up on it, resign from this list, forget
that it exists, and move on?  You aren't helping anyone by being here,
including yourself.

> Perhaps my comment was a bit harsh, but it is just that, my comment,
> it does not represent the CentOS developers or user community.

No, but it adds to the lengthening list of CentOS zealots who have
popped up here from time to time posting exactly the same sort of rude,
insulting, whiny, childish recruiting message you did. Really makes the
CentOS "community" look like a bunch of assholes.  I'm sure they aren't,
but you couldn't tell that from the ones who show up here.

  I am
> sure many of you make the same kind of snide comments about Windows,
> and this is no different.

Windows deserves it, and charges money...WBEL is provided free by
volunteers.  If you don't like it, don't use it...but don't insult the
efforts of people who work for others for free.

-- Mike B.