[WBEL-users] WBEL-5 ???

Mark A. Lewis Mark at siliconjunkie.net
Sat Feb 28 16:30:56 CST 2009

Honestly, I used WBEL some years ago, until it went stagnant. I subscribed to the list then and never unsubscribed because it never occurs to me since the volume is less than one message per month generally.

As for CentOS 4 vs WBEL 4, if they are both doing what they say they are, they should be identical. CentOS feels and acts just like my RHEL boxes of the same version and they are binary/package compatible. I would expect WBEL to be the same, but maybe not and that is why it is taking years to get to where the parent distro was 2 years ago. RedHat is close to releasing the beta for RHEL 6, meaning more than likely WBEL will be 2 full versions behind the parent distro.

It's not about being "insensitive" or "unfeeling", it's about the laughability of an "Enterprise" OS, which is nothing more than a re-roll of RHEL and is 2 years behind. 2 years and 2 full versions in distro time is a eon.

I am by no means a zelot, but I genuinely don't understand why anyone would actually run WBEL, with the possible exception of someone who deployed it in a production role and cannot easily migrate that role again to another OS. Even those users should be looking to other distros with more active development and the ability to keep up to date.

Perhaps my comment was a bit harsh, but it is just that, my comment, it does not represent the CentOS developers or user community. I am sure many of you make the same kind of snide comments about Windows, and this is no different.