[WBEL-devel] ncurses4

Jamey Fletcher jamey@beau.org
Sun, 07 Dec 2003 17:11:00 -0600

donavan nelson wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 13:45:47 -0500 (EST), John A. Tamplin wrote

>> If possible, I would like to suggest ncurses4 from the fedora
>> distribution be included in WBEL and available under the
>> compatibility libraries section of the install as an optional
>> package.  I have a number of old commercial applications that need
>> it.

> While I generally see this as a good idea, this pushes the intended
> purpose of WBEL.  I do however believe this would be more suited to
> an "Extras" type of disk.  I'm thinking that WBEL should be as close
> to the RHEL core as possible.

> Perhaps John will chime in here and offer his thoughts as well (I
> know several others will).

John is thinking along the lines of a powertools disk, but definitely
not something he wants to get involved with maintaining updates for.
More or less, packages *we* will need to add for the Library's purposes
will get done, and he'll be happy to make them available for others -
such as OOo 1.1 - and on that basis, other contributions to the
powertools disk will probably be appreciated.  Another question he's
thinking is wondering what the quarterly updates will involve - just a
massive batch of non-security related bug-fixes - or if they'll respin
the ISOs.  And if so, does he want to go as far to respin the ISOs each
quarter, or perhaps just twice a year?  Remember, this is a sideline for
him - he started this because we need a distro for use here at the
Library.  We've got five or six servers, 30 or so staff workstations,
and another 30 or so patron workstations.

It's a fun thing, and it's gotten bigger, faster, than we expected -
hell, LWN is subscribed to the -announce list, following the security
updates!