[WBEL-devel] Problem with mirrors and up2date

Jimmy Kaplowitz jimmy@kaplowitz.org
Sun, 7 Dec 2003 21:42:06 -0500

--1LKvkjL3sHcu1TtY

Hi,

I included the following paragraph in my introduction email entitled
"Hello, I'm new here". This paragraph was easy to miss in the rest of my
email, so I'm resending it in hopes that it can be dealt with. I'm not
trying to rush whoever's responsible for this, especially since this is
a weekend and WBEL is a spare-time project. I'm only trying to make sure
someone sees this and deals with it at some point.

"As a side note, it seems that both of the mirrors don't have a headers/
directory within the 3.0-RC2/en/os/i386/ directory, so that causes
problems for up2date. If I ignore your advice to change the sources it
will probably work, since whiteboxlinux.org has this directory, but I'm
choosing not to out of respect for your connection. It'd be useful to
have this fixed so that I can apply what few updates there are."

Since I sent that paragraph, I have temporarily set my sources file to
get the en/os/i386/ directory from whiteboxlinux.org, just to test if
that would work. (I kept it getting the en/updates/ directory from a
higher-bandwidth mirror.) I also accessed it late in the night, partly
because that is when I was working on this but also with bandwidth in
mind. With this change, as well as the importing of fedora's key and a
couple of typo fixes to up2date's gpgUtils.py (findkey -> findKey and
whitebox_test_gpg_fingerprint -> whitebox_gpg_fingerprint),I was
succesfully able to update my system, pulling all the updates from the
mirror of course. I'd like to be able to just use a mirror so that I
don't have to think twice about bandwidth issues, but absence of the headers/
directory will need to be fixed first.

Also, I have a couple of convenience questions. Is there a way to have
up2date not fetch the header info every time I want to do any package
action? It is sometimes useful but also sometimes a waste (e.g., if I've
just done it a moment ago). Finally, is there a way to show all
information for one package entry or to do some sort of keyword search
of available or installed packages? (That is, I'd like equivalents to
apt-cache show and apt-cache search, respectively.)

Thanks all.

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@kaplowitz.org / jimmy@debian.org

--1LKvkjL3sHcu1TtY