[WBEL-devel] ncurses4

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:41:49 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, donavan nelson wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 13:45:47 -0500 (EST), John A. Tamplin wrote
> > If possible, I would like to suggest ncurses4 from the fedora
> > distribution be included in WBEL and available under the
> > compatibility libraries section of the install as an optional
> > package.  I have a number of old commercial applications that need it.
>
> While I generally see this as a good idea, this pushes the intended purpose of
> WBEL.  I do however believe this would be more suited to an "Extras" type of
> disk.  I'm thinking that WBEL should be as close to the RHEL core as possible.
>
> Perhaps John will chime in here and offer his thoughts as well (I know several
> others will).

I can see some sort of extras collection, if for no other reason than
there are packages I will be building to include in the standard load here
and there really isn't a good reason not to distribute them.  Been tossing
around a 1CD limit for source+binaries just to have a limit.  We all know
what happens when a software collection grows without bound...
(debian.org comes to mind but let us not start a distro war.)  Not sure
that limit will hold since I'm going to need OO.o 1.1 and a current
Mozilla to start with but the idea of a small package set of broadly used
items will be the guiding principle.

Another place to harvest ideas would be the extras CD included with RHEL3,
with the exception of the IBM JDK and any other unfree software therein.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!