[WBEL-devel] Re: [WBEL-users] Bittorrent download stuck at 99%

Charles Lacour clacour@clacour.com
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:35:26 -0600

On Sunday 21 December 2003 21:05, Jamey Fletcher wrote:
> Sam Johnston wrote:
> > Afternoon all,
> >
> > I too am finding that my BitTorrent (3.3 win32) download has frozen at
> > 1772.2 of 1772.8 (99%), and it's saying 'Estimated time left: connecting
> > to peers'. This is one of the first times I've used BT, and while I was
> > very impressed with the initial downloads, I wonder what this is all
> > about - could it be that there are no (contactable) peers?
> >
> Where did you download your torrent from?  Did you start with one, and
> switch to another?
>
> Something really odd is going on here...  After the first reports of the
> stuck torrent problem, I remade the torrent on whiteboxlinux.org
> completely from scratch...  So I don't know *what* is going on.

I can't even begin to guess why/how, but your torrent file (the second one)
had one bad hash, so a single 256K block in disc2 kept getting retransmitted
by everybody, because it would ask for it, get the CORRECT block, compare it
to the INCORRECT hash, and go "Ooops, bad transfer" and go for it again.

The good news is: you got a good copy of all three CDs. The bad news is, the
torrent will never end.

(Note: the above is my best guess after a few hours research. Not being an
expert on BT, nor having hands-on access to the original .torrent file or
ISOs, I might well be wrong. I've got a long post in the list queue
explaining all my reasoning, but it's waiting on a moderator to free it up.
(I attached the .torrent file I created, which is probably what took it over
the limit.)