[WBEL-devel] Re: How to get the RHEL Errata?

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 02:43:34 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, David Jao wrote:

> > If you want to stay legal, do NOT transfer a binary RPM delivered via
> > RHN to any other machine.  RHN would be one way to get the SRPMs
> > however.
>
> If the RPM consists of GPL software, then I am strongly convinced that
> the binary RPM is redistributable. Any action by redhat to suppress
> redistribution (even in object form) would violate section 6 of the GPL.

Technically true by my reading of the GPL as well.  But the consensus
seems to be to allow RH a little leeway to experiment with their new
business model.  Even RMS has given a grudging blessing to the RHN
contract.  And if HE isn't raising hell I won't be the one to start any
trouble.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!