[WBEL-devel] IA64 ISO's -- any available?

Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:07:21 -0600

Milan,

What I believe they are saying is this:

John Morris is meeting the needs of the Library, and as such he is
providing WBEL for that purpose.  He will maintain it.  He doesn't want
help compiling the files, sending out updates to the mailing-lists, etc.

There is no pressure on John to complete updates for anyone but the
Library (except that he likes Whitebox and us and wants to provide the
updates to everyone).  John will provide the updates when he can,
usually within 1 working day as a goal ... but maybe longer for the
major updates, or when he is out of town.

If WBEL also works for you and your situation with these restrictions,
great ... if it doesn't, then you should start a different distribution
with all the community involvement that you want.

Seems to me that Jamie has said that they will put the IA-64 ISOs and
files on the whitebox.org server so they can be distributed.

Personally, I would also like to see some of the things donovan nelson
is trying to accomplish at whiteboxlinux.net (a forum for help, a
bugzilla, user provided packages, etc.) ... but John is in control of
WhiteBox Linux and he is making the decisions.

He has no magic script to compile the source files.

At first I wanted more community involvement and to help as well ...
however, all of that at cAos has caused CentOS to be changed and
delayed, while Whitebox is prety much usable and deployable as is
(including several ftp and http yum/up2date sites).  I think both
methods are viable ... Just my take.

- Johnny Hughes