[WBEL-devel] openssl security update needed

Milan Ker¹lįger milan.kerslager@pslib.cz
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:26:54 +0100

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 12:32:17PM +0000, Paulo Matos wrote:
> > > 	At this moment I am in no conditions to help with this task, but
> > > in a near future (and if I can convince my bosses to adopt whitebox).
> >
> > As usually, I'm making always updates almost in-time. But as there is
> > no-no about help, contributing and cooperation a beau.org, you are not
> > able to find quick solution on whiteboxlinux.org site (even URLs).
>
> For clearing things up can you explain what do you mean with this "no-no"
> statement.

They simply don't want to even you ask. I tryed to do something
separately but who want to make work for nobody (Pasi leaves to Tao
Linux with his AMD64 rebuild).

> > I'm deleting x86 updates from the tree when Morris releases its own
> > (same) "official" updates.
>
> I must appreciate what Morris et all have done by creating whitebox
> linux, I perfectly understand their motivations. I also know the spirit of
> DISCLAIMERS which you'll find in almost any open-souce package that
> nothing is guarenteed and is provided "AS IS", but... for me this is legal
> stuff... (almost) every one would like to have is work up and running...
>
> So my doubts right now are if whitebox linux can live as a best-effort of
> all his users or will it simply be driven by a one person's work. In the

One person. Morris does not believe that there is much more to do in the
future and probably thinks that he is only one who is able to do it
perfectly (ie. not at time). This could be true from his/some point of
view.

> past 5 years I built, rebuilt, made and remade a lot of packages. And when
> I felt confident about my expertise on doing that I contribute a few
> packages to the community through redhat contrib (unfortunately it stop
> working after a while).
>
> I don't know if we can or how we can contribute to whitebox. The efforts
> should be driven in the same direction and not spreading and forking
> everywhere... this way we might have some stability and get the proud of
> the hard work and time investment put on whitebox.

This is still not the right time for what you are asking for.

There is a separate project however: http://whiteboxlinux.net

I'm able to mirror your repository to high-bandwith site.

> Said that, please disclose all glitches and tricks on building WBEL/RHEL
> RPMS.

Make chroot environment and build all for yourself. Try to use what
others already done, do not reinvent a wheel. Make your effort public...
Don't be shy when somebody does something better than you.

--
                        Milan Kerslager
                        E-mail: milan.kerslager@pslib.cz