[WBEL-devel] WhiteBox 3.0-Respin2 Test release

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Tue Mar 8 17:09:05 CST 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 08:39, Ron Yorston wrote:
> I've tried respin 2 on an Athlon machine.  I copied the vmlinuz and
> initrd.img files from the isolinux directory on the first CD to an
> existing partition, booted using grub and did a standard workstation
> install via ftp.  After installation I pointed yum at a local mirror
> of the updates and the only thing it wanted was the 2.4.21-27.0.2.EL
> kernel.

That sounds like correct behaviour.  Respin2 included the same kernel RH
shipped with Update4 so binary driver discs would work.  The other
packages that are newer than the mirrors haven't been pushed yet in case
there was a problem.

> I've done some minimal testing.  The only problem I've noticed so far
> is that OpenOffice.org refused to start.  It said:
>
>    Checking for existing user installation ...   ...   NOT FOUND
>    Performing first-time installation for user ...   ...   FAILED
>
> I found that the openoffice.org-i18n package hadn't been installed.  Once
> I installed it by hand OOo started and seems to be working as expected.

Interesting.  So is this behaviour correct? Correct as in does RHEL work
like this and in the sense of should OOo work without the i18n files
present.  I was under the impression OOo would work in US English
without the i18n package.  Time to go run some checks and if it is a
requirement I'll have to fix comps or something to pull it in for now
and then bugzilla a dependency problem at RH.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!