[WBEL-users] Release Candidate 2 is out!

Jamey Fletcher jamey@odin.library.beau.org
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 12:06:43 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Magnus Hedemark wrote:

> In theory torrents would be the ideal way to distribute this.  In
> practice, ~3KiB/s is pretty bad over a 5Mbps downstream pipe.  Not too
> many peers are on, either, indicating either that people aren't
> interested (which I don't believe) or people are bailing out as soon as
> their download is done, which harms the whole BitTorrent model anyway.

The primary seeds, here at the Library, are unfortunately capped at
15K/sec - the 6 RC1 seeds were dropped to 5K/sec last night, shortly
before these went live.  15*6 + 5*6 = 120K/sec, which leaves us a little
reserve for primary library operations.

Nobody as yet has a full download from our original seeds - give it a bit,
and things will pick up.

I wonder if the BitTorrent protocol might benefit from some kind of
"aging" on seeds, where full seeds preferentially send out later blocks,
since the rest of the file can be gotten from others still downloading.

And that 120K assigned to BitTorrent slows down the mirrors synching.  But
John wanted to get as much as possible out as soon as possible - but we'll
look at how this goes, and think about it for the -final release.

--
					Jamey
				      ----<--<@