[WBEL-users] xdelta diffs between CD releases?

Charles Duffy cduffy@spamcop.net
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 07:43:49 -0600

It'd be useful if folks already having a prior CD image could cheaply
(ie. without much expendature of bandwidth) update their image to a
newer version. Offering an rsync mirror is certainly one way around this
-- but as that's rather CPU-intensive on the server, and *I* don't have
a box I'm ready to offer for such a thing, it doesn't seem an
appropriate thing to ask that someone else do so. Another approach,
then, is using the usual distribution mechanisms (BitTorrent and/or FTP
mirrors) to offer xdelta-based binary diffs between released ISO
versions.

I don't have multiple copies of the CD image handy (still very early in
the BT download of 3.0fixed), but if someone else here would be kind
enough to determine about what size such xdeltas come to, that might be
useful as a decision point on whether to actually implement this
suggestion.

Thanks!