[WBEL-users] Question about RHEL Licensing

joliver@joliver.net joliver@joliver.net
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:17:56 -0500 (EST)

All,
    I have read Redhat's EULA as I have purchased a copy of RHEL WS 3.0
and can find no prohibition on installing WS on more than one machine.
 Legally speaking, am I in bounds by purchasing one copy and then
installing it on, say 10 workstations?  All of the RPMS on the CD are
GPL'ed and should be freely distributeable.  The EULA makes note of 2
package exceptions.  Redhat artwork, and anaconda artwork are covered
by trademark laws.  I can easily build my own updates with the freely
available SRPMS.  Also, after the 1 year subscription  is up, can I
legally cancel it while still having WS installed?  I  think that $179
per year is very steep.  That price includes access to RHN only, with
no support.
    The next question is about providing built RPM updates to the
community, say with apt or yum?  The SRPMS are simply source GPL'ed
products, so redistribution can't be limited right?  What about
creating an apt repository with the entire distribution minus
redhat-artwork and anaconda-artwork.  Any help with these questions
would be appreciated.

-Jimmy