[WBEL-users] More yum mirrors?

Mark Reynolds mark@reynolds.net.au
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:25:11 +0800

Quoting John Morris <jmorris@beau.org>:

> The other sites that mirror do so by rsyncing against ncsu.edu's mirror so
> until they catch it the others won't be able to.  Guess too many people
> haven't edited their sources file and are hammering us.

Hi all.

In my opinion, the current distribution system setup
is flawed, and doomed to fail much more, and more often.

All because WBEL is very good, does exactly as it advertises,
and more and more people are going to use it.

'Use it' with the default yum config, which points back to
the actual source, on a well known, congested pipe.

Any of these options require little change, concede no
loss of control, and would allow everyone to get updates
(and main sources) quicker, more consistantly.

1. Change WHEL distribution YUM config to point to ncsu.edu
   mirror by default, probably with their permission.

2. Remove any reference to actual beau.org sources, but include
   all latest mirror configs in yum source. Maybe even make
   those changes as a WBWL update, and push changes out that way.

3. Create geography based mirror system allocating
   XX.whitelboxlinux.org names to appropriate mirrors.
   ie us.whitelboxlinux.org points to ncsu, au. points
   to au mirror, eu. points to eu mirror.

4. Lock down http, ftp and rsync access to beau.org master
   copy, so that only main mirrors can get access.

I'm happy to help by hosting the au. mirror, as I've mentioned
before. And I'm sure there would be dozens of people keen to help
with other mirrors.

thanks again.

mark reynolds

Sent through Reynolds Technology IMP http://www.reynolds.net.au/
Configurable spam and virus free email. Anywhere, anytime.