[WBEL-users] updating to newest kernel from Redhat using up2date

Tue, 27 Apr 2004 05:43:38 -0500

--=-rgMOWIFoN9deOr1ukGqa

Chris,
If using on a non-gui system, you have to modify the following lines in
the file /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date:

pkgSkipList=kernel*;

pkgsToInstallNotUpdate=kernel;kernel-modules;

removeSkipList=kernel*;

You need to change those lines to:

pkgSkipList=;

pkgsToInstallNotUpdate=;

removeSkipList=;

Then rerun:

up2date -u

- Johnny Hughes

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 22:12, Chris Weisiger wrote:

> i just checked for the kernel update and im unable to check for it using
> up2date....i noticed the kernel was released on april 22-2004
>
> but when i just ran up2date the kernel wasnt listed...
>
> the only thing i can think of is that i had to recompile my kernel
> so my zip drive would work....could that be a problem in that
> up2date cant  check for an updated kernel...cause when
> i check this is what is returned from up2date
>
> Fetching rpm headers...
>
> Name                                    Version        Rel
>

> or
>

> Fetching rpm headers...
>
> Name                                    Version        Rel
>
> All packages are currently up to date
>

> how do i update my kernel?

--=-rgMOWIFoN9deOr1ukGqa

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Chris,<BR>
If using on a non-gui system, you have to modify the following lines in the file <B>/etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date</B>:<BR>
<BR>
pkgSkipList=kernel*;<BR>
<BR>
pkgsToInstallNotUpdate=kernel;kernel-modules;<BR>
<BR>
removeSkipList=kernel*;<BR>
<BR>
You need to change those lines to:<BR>
<BR>
pkgSkipList=;<BR>
<BR>
pkgsToInstallNotUpdate=;<BR>
<BR>
removeSkipList=;<BR>
<BR>
Then rerun:<BR>
<BR>
up2date -u<BR>
<BR>
- Johnny Hughes<BR>
<BR>
<PRE><FONT COLOR="#737373"><I>i just checked for the kernel update and im unable to check for it using