[WBEL-users] Dual Running

Karanbir Singh mail-lists@karan.org
Mon, 02 Aug 2004 12:42:32 +0100

hi,

Daniel J. Summers wrote:
> newsgroups, web pages, and database) are available whether I'm booted to
> Linux or Windows.  I use Mozilla Thunderbird for newsgroups, PHP for the

Very simple to do and run.

> web pages, and MySQL for the database.  I have a drive formatted with
> FAT32 (vfat) that is readable/writable from both operating systems.

cool.

> Has anyone had any experience with this, heard about someone who did it,

Lots and lots of people run this kind of a setup, specially people who
need to run Windoze for work applications. ( Me included )

> or tried it and couldn't make it work?  I think the MySQL should work
> the same, and by using a symbolic link under Linux and special options

You can setup the database directory in the MySQL Config files, make
sure you have the same version of MySQL installed on Linux and Windows,
and just point the db directory to a shared location.

> in IIS, I believe I can make both servers serve up the same web pages.

IIS ? Run Apache on both sides. IIS dosent run on Linux......

> My biggest question is with Thunderbird.  Does anyone here know whether

Thunderbird is the easiest to setup of all the above apps. In Mozilla (
which should be the same as Thunderbird ), click on the mailbox in the
left folder view, goto the settings for the account, go into the 'Server
Settings' and you will find the last option down the right side says :
Local Directory: . You can just point this to a common shared directory
  across linux / windows. Also make sure you change the directory for
the Local Folders.

> it can be forced to read its data from a particular place, and whether
> it uses the same format and naming convention in both operating systems?

Yes, Thunderbird will use the same formats / config files.

However MySQL / Apache / PHP will need to be setup on each OS, and just
share the data / web pages etc. You might be able to get away with using
a common php.ini and mysql config files, but dont. Setup each server /
application natively on each OS since the config files have some
platform specific options.

BTW, if you have a beefy processor with a bunch of ram, you might want
to try VMWare to run both OS's together.....

HTH

--
Karanbir Singh   : http://www.karan.org/
GnuPG Public Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc