[WBEL-users] New install after up2date no keyboard

Robert Moskowitz rgm@htt-consult.com
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:21:07 -0500

I just completed a server install wiht WBL 3.0 respin 1

I selected a lot of optoins and got the system running.

The first thing I did after establishing that the interfaces were working
was to run up2date (that really runs yum).

Besides kernel updates, I selected to update 298 packages.  Then after
that, I was told I had to add about 5 more due to dependences.

The whole process for up2date took all day (well, I was not sitting in
front of the monitor, and I expect it waited for me a bit).

When it was all done (about 15 min ago), I decided that the first thing to
do was reboot.  I noticed that the system was sluggish (only a 600mhz wiht
256Mb).

At reboot, I was given a choice to versions, that was not there after the
install.  They were:

2.4.21-27.something.something
2.4.21-15

The -15 was highlighted.  But I figured that since 27>15, that I really
should select the -27 boot.

The system booted, and I got the GUI login.  The mouse worked but not the
keyboard.  I could tell I could fill up the keyboard buffer (it would start
beeping at me after a dozen or so characters), but nothing worked.

I cold-booted and selected the -15 boot.  Same thing.

OK.  Now what?

Did I do to much at once?  Should I only have updated the kernel and a
second pass hit all those packages?

Is this recoverable or is it reinstall time?

ARGH!  I need this box already to do some 802.1X testing....