[WBEL-users] About RHEL 3 quaterly upgrade

Ewan Mac Mahon ecm103@york.ac.uk
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:08:30 +0000

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 11:19:47AM -0500, Jason Dixon wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 11:12, Francisco A. Lozano wrote:
> > I'm glad I haven't used it in production systems.
> >
> > Maybe WBEL wasn't such a good idea, after all.
>
> All of this chatter about WBEL being dead just makes me giggle.  People,
> we're talking about a GPL'd distribution where ALL of the hard work has
> already been done.  The 3.0 ISO's have already been released,
I'm sitting here looking at an ia64 box, and at a Whitebox mirror. There
are no isos for the former on the latter. This is an easy problem to fix
since the ia64 and x86_64 isos have already been built, they're only not
on the mirrors because of the unresposiveness of the maintainer.

>all that needs to happen during the next 4.5 years is MAINTENANCE (rebuilding
>errata).

And what about when the next version of RHEL is released? I think it would
make sense for WBEL to not only maintain the existing 3.0 release, but to
whitebox-ify the next one too.

> Where are the folks that were bitching to HELP?
Still here, still (AFAIK) not got access to the infrastructure.

>Why not simply fork the project if you're a) so enamored with WBEL, and
>b) concerned that it's no longer being maintained by the original
>developer?
Because Whitebox is more than just software - it's mailing lists, a user
base, and ftp server/mirror infrastructure. Creating a fork would leave
all of that behind which seems wasteful if it can be avoided.

There are two other problems with a fork and they both concern John
Morris;  that forking peoples projects is not nice, and he has neither
'resigned' nor (IMHO) done anything to warrant that, secondly because he
started out doing the entire thing himself, being very enthusiastic, and
it would be a shame not to have him on board.

I think there are some problems with whitebox, but I don't think that any
of them are terribly large, nor do I think they should be insurmountable.
All we really need is some word from John on what he wants to do, and if
he wants out he should ideally let someone else take over the project
rather than having to start from scratch.

Ewan