[WBEL-users] WBEL and apt-get

Joe Klemmer klemmerj@webtrek.com
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:17:02 -0500

On Sun, 2004-02-15 at 17:52, Robert Seward wrote:

> I was even able to use up2date and a yum channel to patch my WBEL to the
> latest levels. I noticed upgrading with yum (or maybe it is up2date's
> fault) is much slower than I am use to. I usually use apt4rpm to keep my
> boxes up to date. And this up2date yum thing seemed a whole lot slower
> than I am use to.

	It's slower in two areas.  First, it's written in python so it's an
interpreted language while apt is compiler C.  Second, there can be
seemingly long delays the first time you run it as it d/l's all the
header files.  Once you get the header files cached it's much faster.

	Functionally there really isn't a difference between them, though.
I've used both apt and yum and find no technical difference between
them.

> I am hopelessly addicted to apt4rpm. It is a fast and efficient means of
> keeping a server up to date. Does anyone know if there is an APT
> repository for WBEL???

	I don't think so but I'm new here.

--
Kuramarujo - http://www.webtrek.com/~klemmerj/sumo.html