[WBEL-users] Adding bootable flag to running Array

Simone simone72@email.it
Tue, 06 Jul 2004 12:58:35 +0200

--=====================_1109559484==.ALT

Hi,
well actually I have grub installed in the MBR on the original disk. I know
that if the "master" disk breaks I cannot boot from the new disk (I tried
this before), so I have to start with the cd in rescue mode and run
/sbin/grub to do

grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

Don't know if this is enough or if I need the flag.

Imagine I decide to shut down the machine, take out the disk (so the raid
is not running on it) put it in a different box, start with a rescue disk
and add the flag on the first partition, then put it back in and start the
Samba server, anyone knows if this would compromise the other partitions or
in any way the RAID and in the end my precious server?  ;-)

Meanwhile I'll see if I can get another test machine and try different things.

Thanks for your help, have a nice day
Simone

At 12:25 06/07/2004, Ewan Mac Mahon wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 03:45:26PM +0200, Simone wrote:
> > Hi,
> > looking for advice on the safest and quickest way to add the bootable flag
> > to a running Array. Last week we had to replace a disk on the samba server
> > and reconstruct the array (RAID1, 2 disks, $ partition each disk). My
> > fault, I forgot to add the bootable flag on the /boot partition.
>
> > As usual, any comment really appreciated.
>
>Do you actually need the bootable flag for anything? Linux bootloaders
>tend to work out where to boot from using a config file, so if you've
>got grub (or lilo?) installed in the MBR it won't matter.
>
>Ewan

 Sponsor:
 American Diet System: Dimagrire mangiando e dormendo!
* Perdi peso senza rinunce e senza traumi!
*
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=2631&d=6-7
--=====================_1109559484==.ALT

Hi, <br>
well actually I have grub installed in the MBR on the original disk. I
know that if the &quot;master&quot; disk breaks I cannot boot from the
new disk (I tried this before), so I have to start with the cd in rescue
mode and run /sbin/grub to do<br><br>
Don't know if this is enough or if I need the flag.&nbsp; <br><br>
Imagine I decide to shut down the machine, take out the disk (so the raid
is not running on it) put it in a different box, start with a rescue disk
and add the flag on the first partition, then put it back in and start
the Samba server, anyone knows if this would compromise the other
partitions or in any way the RAID and in the end my precious
server?&nbsp; ;-)<br><br>
Meanwhile I'll see if I can get another test machine and try different
things.<br><br>
Thanks for your help, have a nice day<br>
Simone<br><br>
At 12:25 06/07/2004, Ewan Mac Mahon wrote:<br>
03:45:26PM +0200, Simone wrote:<br>
&gt; Hi,<br>
&gt; looking for advice on the safest and quickest way to add the
bootable flag <br>
&gt; to a running Array. Last week we had to replace a disk on the samba
server <br>
&gt; and reconstruct the array (RAID1, 2 disks, $ partition each disk).
My <br>
&gt; fault, I forgot to add the bootable flag on the /boot
partition.<br><br>
&gt; As usual, any comment really appreciated. <br><br>
Do you actually need the bootable flag for anything? Linux
bootloaders<br>
tend to work out where to boot from using a config file, so if
you've<br>
got grub (or lilo?) installed in the MBR it won't matter.<br><br>
Ewan<br>
Email.it, the professional e-mail, gratis per te:<a href=3Dhttp://www.email.it/cgi-bin/start?sid=3D3 target=3D_blank >clicca=
 qui</a><br>
Sponsor:<br>
Corri da Oliviero! Sandali, infraditi, calzature moda-sport per lui e per l=
ei delle migliori marche!<br>

/font><br>

<BR></body>