OT Re: [WBEL-users] Odd window drag behaviour

Alex Tkachenko alex@ingrian.com
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:58:07 -0700

John,

I just have realized that I was replying to the original maintainer of
the Whitebox Linux. It looks silly to explain you the goals of the
project :)

My sincere apologies for that.

But I still think, that if you going to introduce the fixes yum channel,
let it be the separate channel, do not merge the fixes into the
mainstream (i.e. .../os/RedHat/RPMS) this won't lead to anything good.
I actually was doing this with RHL 7.3, and end up with terrible mix of
7.3, Fedora, Rawhide, Ximian and everything in between. Guess what - my
users can't install anything off the Net, and I have to recompile the
software for them and also track every damn piece I have back-ported.
And this is on top of other responsibilities I have.

So the bottom line - the fixes (or extras) channel is a big commitment,
although lots of users may benefit from that. The more I work with RHEL3
the more missed pieces I find. As usual, RedHat appears to be very
conservative, and have excluded everything which may affect the overall
system stability. In this light I can't understand, what is wrong with,
i.e, Tripwire? :) On the other hand, since the (if I am not mistaken)
rhl80 the MrProject segfaults on loading hierarchical projects, and that
is a two line fix - I won't believe nobody hit that but me (in planner,
included with fc2 the error does not seem to be present).

Have a great day,
Alex