[blacklist] Re: [WBEL-users] Network detect

Nick Lunt nick@javacat.f2s.com
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 23:37:14 +0100

Ed wrote

>>Are NVIDIA actually distributing someone else's open source driver as
>>opposed to their own?  I tried the NVIDIA driver first but it didn't
>>work, which is why I had to use forcedeth.  But if forcedeth doesn't
>>work for some reason, I would try the NVIDIA driver.

I don't know what direction nvidia are taking, but they are making an effort
support their hardware on linux, which is a lot more than many manufacturers
are doing.
On nvidias website you can download RPM's for several flavours of linux, or
you can download
the .tar.gz file.

I downloaded the .tar.gz and it worked for RHEL3 and WBEL3. Nvidia's drivers
definitely include the
forcedeth (what a name) module, but whether they coded it themselves or not
I couldnt say.

On my pc at home I've tried both RHEL and WBEL and neither supported my NIC
or my soundcard.
I have an nforce m/b and use the NIC and soundcard on that. The drivers from
nvidia got both my soundcard and NIC working.

I also have an ATI 9800 pro video card, which ati release linux drivers for,
however it is a complete nightmare to get 3D working on RHEL/WBEL. No probs
with Mandrake 10 however.

I think the problem for developers comes from the fact that linux has no set
standard. Each version of linux is different which is IMHO why it's still a
niche OS. The UnitedLinux branch is hopefully going to change this. Oracle
and IBM are using the UnitedLinux label to promote their software onto the
linux OS, as no doubt other software manufacturers are.

Errm, Im gonna stop there, cos I seem to have gone off topic quite a bit,
sorry ;)

-Nick.