[blacklist] Re: [WBEL-users] Network detect

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan@macmahon.me.uk
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:59:16 +0100

--NMuMz9nt05w80d4+

BTW - John, or whoever moderates the list, is going to get another copy
of this because I forgot that I hadn't subscribed this address. Please
just bin it, thanks.

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 11:37:14PM +0100, Nick Lunt wrote:
> I think the problem for developers comes from the fact that linux has
> no set standard. Each version of linux is different which is IMHO why
> it's still a niche OS. The UnitedLinux branch is hopefully going to
> change this. Oracle and IBM are using the UnitedLinux label to promote
> their software onto the linux OS, as no doubt other software
> manufacturers are.
>=20
The problem for these particular developers is that they're not sharing
their code like everyone else does; if nVidia & ATI made their drivers
free, or even just released programming specs the drivers would be in
the kernel just like normal. It's the freedom of linux that allows it to
be as good as it is, and allows efforts like Whitebox to exist in the
first place. There's no fixed kernel ABI standard because the developers
see no reason to help companies that try to take that freedom away from
their customers. In nVidia's case it's just pure bloody mindedness - the
idea of there being 'valuable intellectual property' in a 10/100
ethernet driver is just too laughable for words.

If you want a quiet life with a free software OS then don't buy hardware
=66rom companies that don't respect the idea.

Ewan

--NMuMz9nt05w80d4+

--NMuMz9nt05w80d4+--