[WBEL-users] Whitebox + Oracle 10g works

Michael Squires MSQUIRES@iga.state.in.us
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:42:35 -0500

This is more basic; the installer can't create a window on your X11
desktop.

If you are running this from the desktop of the LINUX box in Gnome or
KDE (X11 desktop managers) then you shouldn't be getting this message.

If you are connecting from another machine then the machine you are
connecting from has to have an X11 desktop running and you have to have
run "xhost + <linux box IP number or linux box name>" before starting up
an xterm session with the display set to the box with the display, i.e.

I have PC1 under XP with Cygwin and KDE for Cygwin installed, and PC2 is
the LINUX box.  In that case I

(1) Open a Cygwin bash shell on PC1
(2) execute "startx" to get KDE started (and go for coffee)
(3) start a terminal (xterm) window under KDE on PC1
(4) execute "xhost + <PC2>" in that terminal window on PC1
(5) execute "ssh oracle@<PC2>" and log in to PC2
(6) execute "xterm -display <PC1>:0 &" on PC2

An xterm window will pop up in KDE; in that window I cd to the installer
directory and start the installer.  The installer pops up on PC1 using
the KDE window manager.

If logged into the desktop of the LINUX box I just log in as "oracle"
and when my desktop (KDE again, but Gnome is the same) I open a terminal
session and I'm at step (6) as above.

MLS