[WBEL-users] Postfix or Sendmail

Milan Ker¹lįger milan.kerslager@pslib.cz
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:38:30 +0200

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 08:17:01PM +0200, Michiel van Es wrote:

> >>Postfix is more secure. Sendmail is big ball with big holes (at least in
> >>the past).
> >

> >	It's been a while since there's been major problem with sendmail.  At
> >this point, if I were you, I'd probably toss a coin.  If both do
> >everything you need them to and you are equally comfortable in both pick
> >the one you think will be easiest for a future admin to work with (like
> >after you're retired or whatever).
> >
> Ik also find the "Postfix is more secure. Sendmail is big ball with big
> holes (at least in the past)."  very lame.
> Please give good arguments before takin' a crack on a outstanding
> mailserver like Sendmail.
> I do not say Postfix is worse..I think they have both pros and cons but
> I am not going to tell that Sendmail is bad and not give any good
> argument why it is such a bad decision.
> If I had to choose it is Sendmail for it's simplicity and it's
> virtusertable function which is not 100% implemented in Postfix (imho).

I don't know what to say more. At least sendmail has a big holes in the
past. And everytime they promised "this is the last problem".

Don't make me wrong - I'm using sendmail since 1993.

Yes - there is a lot of design changes in last (few) years but...
The sendmail is here only because of long history. This is better to
move to postfix now (the second mailer in RHEL, WBEL or so).

--
                        Milan Kerslager
                        E-mail: milan.kerslager@pslib.cz