[WBEL-users] 60GB HD

Tom Cooper tcooper@starpower.net
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 17:03:35 -0500 (EST)

Ganeshram Iyer said:
> I know this question is not Whitebox specific but I had a question
> regarding a 60GB USB HD which I want to mount and format using Whitebox.
> What file system do I need to use to ensure that this HD can be read
> using both Window as well Linux?
The limitation is primarily on the Windows side.  Linux can natively read
and write many different filesystems.

Depending on your needs, you will probably want to choose Fat32 as the
partition type.  Fat32 will allow you to create a filesystem that large,
but (with fairly large allocation units.)

You don't mention whether you're talking about 98, ME, XP Home, or XP Pro.
 The XP flavors will read and write NTFS, too, but linux support for read
and write of NTFS partitions is not mainstream yet.

Remember that FAT32 does not support permissions, so the entire volume
will be read/write for all users while Windows is booted.  You can exert
some control over read/write for the partition under Linux by modifying
the mount permissions.

Hope this helps.