[WBEL-users] 60GB HD

Jan-Albert van Ree javanree@vanree.net
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 23:11:08 +0100

On Monday 08 November 2004 20:56, Ganeshram Iyer wrote:
> I know this question is not Whitebox specific but I had a question
> regarding a 60GB USB HD which I want to mount and format using Whitebox.
> What file system do I need to use to ensure that this HD can be read
> using both Window as well Linux?

If just reading under Linux is sufficient, and write/read under Windows, you
can use NTFS, and grab the NTFS package and build your own RPM's (or fetch
them somewhere, I've got NTFS RPM's at
http://www.vanree.net/wbel30/personal/ , they need to match your WBEL
kernel!) I mount my Windows XP partition this way. I used FAT32 for my
games/"data" partition (real data never goes beyond my Linux install, thus
on EXT3)

If you want to read+write under Linux you're stuck with FAT32 as far as I
know, and you'll have to split the disk, FAT32 IIRC doesn't go beyond about
32 GB.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree  | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
VanRee IT Solutions | http://www.vanree.net