[WBEL-users] How to uninstall an rpm package which has dependencies?

bishop bishop@platypus.bc.ca
Tue, 09 Nov 2004 03:56:42 -0800

How easily you toss about --nodeps!  Oh, the abuse to the RPMdb!  That's
the absolute best way to cause yourself all manner of grief.  The
number-two way, of course, is to install software by tarball:  the RPMdb
'knows' that openssh is version 3.6.1p2, but the software is really
3.9p1.  It causes HUGE problems when you're actually building new
software on such a broken system, but even under normal use it causes
the second-most number of calls into the call centre.

Luckily I don't work that call centre;  I'd instruct people to
immediately rpm-e their rpm installation, for it's more useless with
each new hand-hacked package some cowboy puts on after that.

   (what, you think you'd escape a rant?)

Jean, try using 'yum remove openssh'.  It'll remove openssh and
everything which depends on it.  At the least, it will tell you which
RPMs you will affect by removing openssh.  In this case, the list is short:

> [root@fishy /]# yum remove openssh
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: White Box Enterprise Linux 3.0 - i386 - Base
> Server: White Box Enterprise Linux 3.0 - i386 - Released Updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> xpdf-1-2.02-8.i386.hdr    100% |=========================| 9.6 kB    00:00
> Resolving dependencies
> ...Dependencies resolved
> I will do the following:
> [erase: openssh 3.6.1p2-33.30.1.i386]
> I will erase these to satisfy the dependencies:
> [deps: openssh-server 3.6.1p2-33.30.1.i386]
> [deps: openssh-askpass-gnome 3.6.1p2-33.30.1.i386]
> [deps: openssh-askpass 3.6.1p2-33.30.1.i386]
> [deps: desktop-printing 0.1.10-15.1.i386]
> [deps: netdump 0.6.11-3.i386]
> [deps: kdebase 6:3.1.3-5.4.i386]
> [deps: user-account-cvs 1.2-5.i386]
> [deps: openssh-clients 3.6.1p2-33.30.1.i386]
> Is this ok [y/N]:

You may just want to roll an upgrade RPM for openssh and install that
instead.  That way, your upgrade won't cause any complaints.

Well, that's not too hard:

> Wrote: /home/bishop/public_html/apt/i386/wb30/SRPMS.extras/openssh-3.9p1-1.src.rpm
> Wrote: /home/bishop/public_html/apt/i386/wb30/RPMS.extras/openssh-3.9p1-1.i386.rpm
> Wrote: /home/bishop/public_html/apt/i386/wb30/RPMS.extras/openssh-clients-3.9p1-1.i386.rpm
> Wrote: /home/bishop/public_html/apt/i386/wb30/RPMS.extras/openssh-server-3.9p1-1.i386.rpm
> Wrote: /home/bishop/public_html/apt/i386/wb30/RPMS.extras/openssh-askpass-3.9p1-1.i386.rpm
> Wrote: /home/bishop/public_html/apt/i386/wb30/RPMS.extras/openssh-askpass-gnome-3.9p1-1.i386.rpm

Mind you, I haven't examined, compared or tested this RPM, but I did
hand-assess the patches and it did roll something valid.  Now all I need
is the chroot patch.  Here are the ones I found;  which are you using?

  - homedir /home/./username patch
> http://chrootssh.sourceforge.net/download/osshChroot-3.9p1.diff

  - chrootuser config option
> http://majikal.dyn.dhs.org/projekts/openssh_chroot_patch/openssh-3.5p1+chroot.patch

Let me know and I'll have something for you to test soon afterward.

  - bish