[WBEL-users] How to uninstall an rpm package which has dependencies?

Randy Kelsoe randykel@swbell.net
Tue, 09 Nov 2004 08:36:50 -0600

Jean Lee wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I think that what I want is not so hard but I really don't know how to
> do it.
>
> My problem is that I want to unintsall openssh-3.6.1p2 which is
> installed as an rpm package and then install openssh-3.9p1-chroot
> which is a tarball (it is a patched version of  Openssh-3.9p1 with
> added chroot functionnality).

As I suggested in a previous thread of yours, get the checkinstall
package and install it. Then you can untar the openssh-3.9p1-chroot
package, do your './configure', then 'make' and then instead of doing
your normal 'make install', run 'checkinstall' which will create and
install an RPM package for you. That way, if you have problems with the
new package, you can remove it with the 'rpm -e' command. When you need
to upgrade the package, it will be a lot easier to let rpm do the
upgrade and keep track of the files.

> Well, I tried first to uninstall openssh-3.6.1p2 with :
> rpm -e openssh
> and this command failed due to dependencies to other packages :
> openssh-server, openssh-client, netdump and a few others related to
> openssh...
>
> I'm sure that I am doing something wrong. Perhaps that I can firstly
> uninstall the packages related to openssh but the one with netdump is
> probably not recommended.. Moreover, I tried to uninstall
> openssh-server and it failed due to a dependency to netdump-server.
>
> What is the right way? Do I have really to uninstall every package
> which has a dependency before uninstalling openssh or is there another
> way which ensure that nothing will be broken?

In your case, I would recommend trying the checkinstall method above
first. If you really want to get rid of the dependencies, you can rpm -e
more than one package at a time:

    rpm -e openssh openssh-server openssh-client netdump

yum is also handy for this:

    yum remove packagename