[WBEL-users] How to uninstall an rpm package which has dependencies?

Rafael Baquero S. rbaqueros@yahoo.com.mx
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:40:08 -0600

On Tuesday 09 November 2004 04:17, Jean Lee wrote:
> And using nodeps won't create any problem with netdump after
> reinstalling Openssh (or do I have to be careful with some shared
> libraries)?

Yes. You might run into trouble depending on where the various files are
installed by the rpm package. You basically have two choices here, build a
new rpm based on the existing openssh rpm or install from tarball. Either way
definitely try this out on a test box and remember to test thoroughly the
packages that are marked as dependant on openssh. Also you may want to reboot
your system to verify that everything is O.K.

The best place to start making your own package or installing from tarball is
probably the spec file in the srpm. This has all the info about how the
package is built and installed. Remember to list all the files in the
original package with rpm -qlp so you know where everything is installed. A
good starting place to get the info you need is http://www.rpm.org

Personally I prefer to use rpm packages whenever I can but I think one should
not be rpm-dependent, i.e. if the package you want is not available as an rpm
or is not packaged with the features you want/need then its time to roll up
your sleeves and do some traditional hacking, or at least some traditional
packaging :-).

Regards.

Rafael.