[WBEL-users] Updates..?

Lamar Owen lowen@pari.edu
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:02:26 -0500

On Saturday 13 November 2004 04:04, bishop wrote:
> Hmm.  Sounds like we could quickly gear ourselves up for a Fedora-like
> effort, here.  I think we need a BZ and a Wiki, at least, for
> coordination, and some kind of test procedure.

Understand that John Morris did this primarily to benefit the library.  He
released it out of good will.  He has made it fairly clear in times past that
he intends to maintain it *for the library* first and foremost, and that the
results will continue to be publicly available.  But, no, this is not a team
effort, really.  Search the archives of this list to see more.  If you can't
deal with that, well, there are other RHEL3 from-source-clones out there,
like FermiLab's Scientific Linux or cAos' CentOS.  Or Tao, or.... well,
there's a bunch.  Or do it yourself and put up an RHEL3 compatible repository
like Dag does.

Since other projects are handling those logistics already, and since John
hasn't been in the past willing to do this (which is his right), then you can
either join another project or just wait on John.  Of course, John may decide
to change his mind.

But, like I said, understand that WhiteBox Linux is not a community project;
it is the fruits of a library's internal IT project released to the public,
which is a completely different animal.

And the way John is doing things works for me at the moment, for at least some
servers I run.  I certainly would rather wait for a 'blessed' RPM from
beau.org than use a third-party's RPM regardless of how quickly it is
released.  John has done remarkably well in keeping up with updates.  And,
well, the fact of the matter is that if he had fallen too far behind I would
have put something else on those servers by now.

Push comes to shove I am capable of downloading the RHEL3 source RPMs and
rebuilding them myself if need be.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology