[WBEL-users] Updates go away?

Ryan Rothert ryan@rothert.com
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:16:43 -0500

 Id love to become an official mirror as well.  I have ample bandwith
and disk space. This to is concerning me a great deal.  John, Vicki?
Some feedback please?

Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: whitebox-users-admin@beau.org
[mailto:whitebox-users-admin@beau.org] On Behalf Of Kirby C. Bohling
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 4:38 PM
To: Samuel Lewis
Cc: Whitebox-users@beau.org
Subject: Re: [WBEL-users] Updates go away?

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 03:06:03PM -0500, Samuel Lewis wrote:
> Sorry if this has already been discussed, as I just joined the list
> today.
>
> Has something happened to the various mirrors maintaining updates?  I
> attempted to up2date and received nothing but errors.  In looking
> around, it looks like the mirrors have stopped carrying the updates.
> Any reason why?

	I'm not sure what precisely is going on.  They we're down a
couple of days ago.  It looked like they came back yesterday, and they
are gone again today.

	I have yet to see anyone post what they got as a reply from
either the Whitebox folks (Vicki and John have been disturbingly silent
on the issue), or from the people who run the NCSU mirror.
So I'm not sure exactly where the problems are.  I'd be fairly shocked
if the NCSU mirror is having problems (they mirror a lot of stuff, I'd
assume they have it fairly well automated).  However, I have yet to hear
any of the people from beau.org to say the where they believe the
problem is.  They sound pretty busy running a library.

	I've been bothered enough by this that I've been looking for
WhiteBox alternatives, but unfortantely none of the alternatives make me
happy enough to warrent a change (CentOS, TaoLinux, and Lineox all made
my research list).  E-mail me off list if you want to know my objections
to each project.  If you know of another alternative, e-mail me, again
in private.  I'm not hear to say bad things about any of the RHEL
rebuilds.  I just want to find one I am comfortable running at work.
WBEL has been slowly slipping away from that status.  I'll probably
continue to run it at home, if only because I really like the helpful
nature of this list.

	WhiteBox itself has been more then stable enough, it just seems
that actually getting updates has been an ongoing battle literally from
the first day I tried to use it.  That's the problem with it being
supported by a small public library.  I greatly appreatiate it, and have
nothing but good things to say, with the exception of availability of
updates.  I'm getting close to just rolling my own internally at my
company just so I have some control over the process.

	Thanks,
		Kirby