[WBEL-users] Help with an ST tape streamer please

Nigel Kendrick nigel.kendrick@petdoctors.co.uk
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:39:43 +0100

mt -f /dev/st0 status       (verify this is the correct device)

SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (10000):
 IM_REP_EN

mt -f /dev/st0 erase

dev/st0: Input/output error
mt: The device is offline (not powered on, no tape ?).

That's pretty much as far as I got before posting the message.

I have also tried hdparm -I /dev/hdd to turn off DMA at someone's
suggestion - no joy

I've used hdparm to confirm that the tape drive is /dev/hdd:

/dev/hdd:

ATAPI Sequential-access device, with removable media
        Model Number:       Seagate STT20000A
        Serial Number:
        Firmware Revision:  8A51
Standards:
        Likely used: 3
Configuration:
        DRQ response: 50us.
        Packet size: 12 bytes
Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
        Buffer size: 364.0kB
        DMA: sdma0 sdma1 *sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2 (?)
             Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
        PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
             Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns

TIA

NK