[WBEL-users] Investigating a kernel panic

Sudev Barar sudev at mantraonline.com
Tue Apr 12 07:23:31 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 11:38 +0200, Simone wrote:
> Hi list,
> I periodically experience kernel panics on my wbel3 box. This server is
> running as a front end mail filter for exchange, with a typical
> MailScanner - sendmail - clamav setup. I also have mailwatch for
> mailscanner running, which is a LAMP kind setup. Every 3-4 weeks I have
> a crash, with keyboard blinking lights, and I don't understand the
> reason for it. Recently installed a new server same configuration, 2 x
> 18Gb scsi disks raid1, thinking it was possibly a hardware problem, but
> this morning after a month running fine, I had the first crash. Could
> you please tell me where to look for possible indications on what could
> have caused the panic? Checked log/messages but it looks like no useful
> info is in there.

We faced a similar behaviour on server running RH9. Two changes were
done and till date I do not know for certain if any were responsible.
1. Upgraded the power supply with higher wattage.
2. Changed the drive cables as on of the drives was giving slow results
when checked with #hdparm -tT /dev/sd[ac]
HTH

--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux