[WBEL-users] Investigating a kernel panic

Simone simone72 at email.it
Tue Apr 12 08:30:22 CDT 2005

Thanks for all the replies. I performed a smartctl -a test and it looks
ok, despite /dev/sda is 59°C pretty close to the Drive Trip Temperature
60 °C.
hdparm results:

 Device: HP       18.2GB A 80-S1A0 Version: S1A0
/dev/sda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   428 MB in  2.00 seconds = 214.00 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   78 MB in  3.00 seconds =  26.00 MB/sec
Device: COMPAQ   BD0186349B       Version: 3B05
/dev/sdb:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   428 MB in  2.00 seconds = 214.00 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   66 MB in  3.07 seconds =  21.50 MB/sec

Looks pretty the same to me.
 I am somehow thinking of a memory related problem, but I have some
questions. The previous install was on a pentium III 866Mhz 768Mb PC100
ram 2x 10Gb ATA66 Disks RAID1, and it crashed every 20 days more or less
(it happened also 2 times in 2 days). This install is on a Celeron
1300Mhz, 512 Mb PC133 Ram Computer, 2x 18Gb SCSI RAID1, and it has
crashed after 30 days. Power supply is different as well as the entire
case/motherboard and whatever you can imagine (know it is not really
server hardware, but it's what they gave me, and I won't give up on
having Linux present in the company). It's 2 completely different
machines, but the issue is the same, so maybe I'm wrong, but I would
exclude the power supply or disks or mobo.
I thought of the memory like  Brian suggested, considering that under a
high load it could heavily swap leading to the panic, even though top
doesn't show such a heavy memory usage or swapping during normal operation.

Is there a way to get more info on the machine state just previous to
the panic?

Thanks for all your help
Simone