[WBEL-users] WBEL 4 Updates

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 11:17:33 CDT 2005

On 12/08/05, Cris Rhea <crhea at mayo.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 10:03:41AM +0100, Will McDonald wrote:
> > Solution, install the yum RPM (off the 4th CD I think?) then switch
> > the distroverpkg line to point to /etc/whitebox-release and that
> > should sort it.
> >
> > Will.
>
> The issues I saw went deeper than what you describe....
>
> I'm using the x86_64 version of WBEL4....

Ah, we don't have any 64bit boxes yet so if it's specific to them it's
not something I'd have encountered.

> Yum runs, but finds no updates ("No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion").
>
> If I manually FTP to one of the mirror sites and look in the
> updates/x86_64 directory, there are clearly packages more recent than
> what's installed on my system.

Could it be the repository information on the mirrors for x86_64 being
borked? Which mirrors are you using?

> I can manually FTP down the packages and "rpm -F" just fine.
>
> I've spent a couple hours searching the 'net for this issue, but have
> come up blank.

It might be worth your while setting up a local repo, rsyncing
everything down from a local mirror overnight then running createrepo
and yum-arch against them. Then just setup your yum.conf to look at
local files with...

file:/path/to/stuff

We have a nightly cron job which does this...

WBMIRROR="rsync://rsync.mirror.ac.uk/www.whiteboxlinux.org"
WBREPOS="/opt/whitebox"
WB4BASE="/4/en/os/i386/"
WB4UPDATES="/4/en/updates/"

# Whitebox 4 base OS
rsync -Pptrl --delete ${WBMIRROR}/${WB4BASE} ${WBREPOS}/${WB4BASE}
ln -s ${WBREPOS}/${WB4BASE}/WhiteBox/base/comps.xml
${WBREPOS}/${WB4BASE}/yumgroups.xml
createrepo -g ${WBREPOS}/${WB4BASE}/yumgroups.xml ${WBREPOS}/${WB4BASE}
yum-arch ${WBREPOS}/${WB4BASE}

# Whitebox 4 updates
rsync -Pptrl --delete ${WBMIRROR}/${WB4UPDATES} ${WBREPOS}/${WB4UPDATES}
createrepo ${WBREPOS}/${WB4UPDATES}
yum-arch ${WBREPOS}/${WB4UPDATES}

Will.