[WBEL-users] Whitebox 3 or 4 on Dell PowerEdge SC1425

Sean Dogar sean at catfeeder.net
Thu Jul 14 14:57:13 CDT 2005

>I haven't done it, but it should work, this is just a rebuild.
>Sometimes there is software that requires a particular entry in
>/etc/redhat-release in order to work, but hardware doesn't care.

That's what I do.  I run WBEL3 on about 150-200 IBM blade servers at
work.  IBM supports RHEL3 but some of their RPM's do parse
/etc/redhat-release.  Make or copy an appropriate redhat-release file
and you're set.

>Systems I have purchased from Dell in the past had drivers that they
>supplied to work with Linux.  If you needed help with those or with
>the box in general, they may get grumpy if they say "what OS?" and you
>say "this RHEL rebuild...".  I've had to support customers with
>unsupported OS (SCO) on Dell boxes before and it's not a whole lot of
>fun.  They make you walk through boot-from-cd diagnostics and such for
>hours before they will listen to your problem.

Same story here.  If they ask, I simply tell them it's RHEL 3.  Not that
I deal with a hardware vendor too much for support anyway, though.

-Sean