[WBEL-users] Power failures and Sending sms from server

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Wed Mar 9 18:00:35 CST 2005

Having the system reboot when you turn power back on is a BIOS setting.
Usually something in the "advanced" area. Look for "default power state" or
something similar. I'd suggest setting it to "always on" since you're talking
about a server.

To get an SMS message on bootup, just send an email to your SMS email address.
I'm a verizon wireless customer, I have a one-liner in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
like:

echo "server rebooted" | mail -s "ServerXYZ rebooted" MYPHONENUMBER at vtext.com

Here's a useful page I bookmarked a while back...
http://www.island.com/toolsresearch/indiv/helpfaq/instantalertsfaq.asp

-Ben

On Wednesday 09 March 2005 09:36, Simone wrote:
> Hi, just yesterday night we had a power failure.  The mailfiltering
> "server" (Compaq 4420EA PC) is WBEL, and after running a while on ups it
> shut down cleanly (NUT over a MGE Ellipse ups). The problem is that it
> doesn't really shut down the machine but it stays with a "Power down"
> message, and when the power comes back it doesn't restart. I tried
> passing apm=power_off, apm=power-off or acpi=on arguments to the kernel
> in the grub.conf with no success. I was wondering if there's a way to
> solve this, or a way around it.
>
> Another thing is that it would be veeeery nice if this machine could
> send me an sms in case of failures that I need to know. Did a search,
> found some interesting projects, one above all kannel, but it looks a
> bit too much for my needs. Is there any good piece of software you would
> suggest?
>
> Thank you all for your time, have a nice day
> Simone

- XEROX PARC slogan, circa 1978